Sunday 3 February 2013

Friends, family & a pirate ship

And so the year has really begun. Kids off to school today. Molly is starting Pre Primary which means she is at school 5 days a week and Lochie starts yr1. So just Bugalugs and I at home all day! How's the serenity. (she is obviously sleeping at the moment)

So let me tell you about my weekend. I had my twin nephews fifth birthday on Saturday in Tammin which is about 2hrs away. So to make the most of the trip we went over on Friday and visited with our best friends. Our meaning mine and the kids. I have a wonderful friend and all our kids just happen to be born within months of each other. We met when Lochie was about 5 months old. We had moved to a new town when he was 3 months old. So we went to playgroup to meet new people and that is where the friendships blossomed. There and after many a hockey training at the pub avoiding going home to our families.

You know when you have a great friendship when you walk in their door and it almost feels like coming home. There is that comfort in being able to be completely yourself and being with someone who really knows you. Also knowing that your kids can run a muck and your not going to get judged. So the kids had a great time as happens when you put 6 kids 6 & under together there were the odd fights and tears. But over all they had a blast. And over a cuppa and lunch we solved the worlds problems. Well mostly we were talking about our hockey clubs and our kids but that is kinda our worlds at the moment.

We went to visit another friend who has just moved into her brand new house. I was so happy for her. For years she has lived in an old farm house where there was never enough room for her to have people over and the grout in the bathroom would fall out every time she cleaned it. There was even an outside toilet. So it was great to have the tour of her new house with freshly painted walls and new carpet. Also it meant more kids to play with and more time to catch up for us.

Then it was onto my sisters. We She spent Friday night making a pirate ship birthday cake whilst I offered very insightful advice and commentary. Well I thought it was insightful.(I even tried to claim the cake as mine by posting a pic on facebook with the caption 'look what I made') We had a lot of laughs and it was good catch up time. Once the kids were in bed.Once the cake was done and the lolly bags sorted we finally made it bed. Next morning was a 5:30am wake up call for everyone!! We spent the morning getting ready for the Pirate party and it was great seeing the kids get so excited.The cake was a HUGE hit although I think mostly for the treasures that were on it.

I had my first dose of feeling like people were watching what I was eating. Cos you know it's all about me and of course people have nothing better to do then read this blog and watch me eat. I guess that is part of me making it so public it means I am more aware of what I am doing. I had a few comments of 'Aren't you on Diet?' As I was eating a cheezel. And not being offered a champagne because people thought I was being good. But like I said I'm not on a diet I am just watching what I eat and drink and cutting back.

So all in all it was a great weekend to catch up with family and friends before we get back into the nitty gritty of school. Although one thing did come of this weekend. I am no hurry to go away for a few nights without my hubby. Although there were others to help out. It is still not the same as having dad there to off load a toddler who only wants to climb up and eat everything on the table or bench.

Yesterday afternoon I had great pleasure in going to my room shutting the door and reading/ sleeping for a few hours of peace and quiet. Was almost worth putting up with the kids on my own just to have a few hours of uninterrupted me time.


4 comments:

  1. Nice work Nikki- but I did offer you bubbles and I have no idea what you ate? All I know is a great time was had by all and I enjoyed seeing you. Keep up the great efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you did :) It was a great weekend. Just wish I wasn't so tired on Saturday night and we could have stayed a little longer.

      Delete
  2. Oh Nik, you are such a beautiful friend!! What would I do without you?! Thank you for you visit, we love them so much but it does remind me of how much I miss having you just 10 mins away!! Thank goodness for phone, and so proud of you for what you have achieved in such a short time. Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nikki I know from my own personal experience at losing weight when they say it is a journey it is a journey. I started out on weight watchers but then as I discussed with you I moved onto to something different Dr Fuhrman. One of your biggest challenges is other people and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Part of the journey is discovering what works for you and what doesn't and then moving along in your journey. Plus you cant expect it all to be done in a day you have a strong addiction to diet drinks so that is a great goal that you are working on. Diet drinks are more deadly then they are appear they still actually cause a spike in insulin in the body and also create sugar cravings even though they are so called calorie free not to mention the chemicals in the drink can definitely play a big part on weight loss results and our sense of wellbeing. I highly recommend this article http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/osteoporosis-diet-soda-depletes-calcium-and-may-increase-heart-attack-risk.html
    Good luck and looking forward to reading more of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete