Sunday 25 August 2013

My 'other' family & life.

Today I want to share a little bit of the other side of my life. It's my second family during winter really. Hockey!! I have played hockey since I was 13. Which by some standards is a late start. Growing up I was a netball girl. I would spend my Saturday mornings at the netball courts playing then as I got older umpiring and coaching. But our family moved when I was 14 and hockey took over from netball.

I have played for 3 different clubs over the years as we have moved around. I have loved each and every one of them. I am my fathers daughter and can't help but get involved. He can't say no when it comes to taking on committee roles and I am not much better. It's a bit of a control freak thing. For the last 3 years I have been secretary of our club and I have loved almost every second of it. Sometimes I do wish I could just turn up and play but that feeling doesn't last too long.

This weekend we won our semi final which means we now play the preliminary final to make it into the grand final. I have never played in a grand final and I am really hoping we can change that this year. We are pumped and have all worked very hard to get to where we are now. Only 2 games to go and the season is over for another year.

I thought I would share some photo's that a lovely local lady takes of all the games each week. Sue O'Brien does a fantastic job and we all love looking at her pics on facebook each week.

The reason long Sunday runs aren't working at the moment. 
And the reason you should ALWAYS wear a mouth guard. Could have been soooo much worse.

Although I tend to let it take over my life for 5 months of the year. I have made some fantastic friendships through sport & hockey.I love playing in a team and partying with a whole club who support eachother. I have also had some of my funnest times with hockey girls both on and off the field. It's like having lots of sisters, sometimes you love eachother, sometimes you hate eachother but in the end we are all there for the same reasons to have fun and win a premiership!!! 

So only a few weeks and life will be back to normal for our little family. I think Mark will be happy that our weekend will be free again and the kids will be happy to have Mum home every night. We have been training twice a week plus netball Monday nights has made for a hectic last month or so. 

Hoping to get a long run in this afternoon. I really need to get into my 1/2 marathon training. Only a month to go!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment